On-trend wall murals for 2017 and how to install them
2017 is set to be another stellar year for the interiors world, with an array of new trends ready to revamp our homes in fashionable style. Deliberating how to feature them in your own space can be tricky, but an easy way is through a feature wall. Not only are wall murals quick to install, they effortlessly add new life to your home.
We’ve picked out three of our favourite trends for 2017 to inspire your next feature wall;
Bringing the outdoors in is making a welcomed return to our homes in the New Year. It’s a trend we’ve seen time and time again, with natural colours and prints resurfacing. Take influence from jungles, forests and fields, with botanical patterns and plant motifs.
Dip into dark green
This deep shade is going to be one of the must-have hues for 2017. With Scandi-style still prevalent, it’s not surprising that this emerald shade is going to become a crowd-pleaser. Dark green can easily be teamed with white and timber to achieve that oh-so-stylish Nordic look.
The interiors world is no stranger to geometric prints and they’re set to take over homes again in 2017. Whether oversized or petite, these patterns can bring an exciting dynamic and visual interest to any room. While geometric prints give a gentle nod to the 70s, you’ll find most have been updated in a sleek, contemporary manner.
Installing a wall mural
Deciding which trend to follow in 2017 is only half the battle. Once your chosen wallpaper arrives, you need to tackle the installation – but we’ve made it simple. Just follow our YouTube video which works through each stage of how to install a wall mural, as outlined below;
- Clear your space so you have room to manoeuvre.
- Unroll the paper and cut out each section of the mural, as it usually arrives in one roll.
- Use a pencil to mark on the wall where it will go – using a spirit level will help to make sure this is even.
- Apply wallpaper paste to the wall.
- Carefully hang the first section, beginning in a corner and starting from the top, taking care to smooth it out using a paper hanging brush so there’s no bumps or air bubbles.
- Fit the next piece of the mural, ensuring you carefully match the pattern. As you add each section, smooth down the sides to ensure a fluidity to the wall mural.
- Score off the top, bottom and sides so that it fits perfectly to the width and height of the wall.
Find more interiors inspiration on our blog.